Tiles and Tales: Azulejos Workshop and Private Tour
The beautiful Azulejo tiles you see in Lisbon and around Portugal are the result of an art form with a long history in the country that began during the Arabic occupation of the Iberian Peninsula.
You’ll begin this day tour heading south of Lisbon to the beautiful Azeitão region, where you’ll visit the well-known Azulejos de Azeitão workshop. Learn how the tiles have been made over the years, as old
techniques are still used to replicate centuries-old art.
After learning the basics about the art, you’ll have a chance to paint your own tile, which will be baked later and sent to your hotel in Lisbon, or back home if your prefer (cost of shipping not included).
After a busy morning, choose where you’d like to have lunch with your guide: The fishing village of Sesimbra is just a short drive away.
Return to Lisbon and, en route, admire some of the most impressive tile artwork around the city.
In the afternoon, you’ll visit the lovely Madre de Deus Convent, dating from the 15th century, and home to the Azulejo Museum. The interior of the church is a Baroque masterpiece, considered to be a total piece of art, where all elements were designed to form the perfect whole.
The Museum features an impressive collection of tiles, ranging from the 15th century to contemporary artists, and includes the most important international schools, as the Spanish and Dutch, among others.
End the visit seeing some iconic pieces from Portuguese masters such as Bordalo Pinheiro, Raúl Lino, and Maria Keil, among others.
- See how tiles are made according to old traditions
- Paint your own tile after learning the basics of the art
- Discover the most impressive tile artwork around Lisbon
- Visit the Azulejo Museum and admire its impressive collection
- Departure point: your centrally located Lisbon hotel
- Departure time 9h30am (exact pickup time will be confirmed within 48h prior to the tour)
- Duration 7 hours (approximately)
- Returns to original departure point at approximately 6pm
- This tour is not available on Mondays as the Azulejo Museum is closed
|Best price guarantee|
|No hidden costs|