Snorkelling with Dolphins
Being able to appreciate the gracefulness of cetaceans underwater should be regarded as a privilege and a gift from the ocean” Encountering dolphins face to face in their natural habitat, the open ocean, can be an intense experience.
We do not want to deprive ourselves of offering our guests such an encounter, as we know first-hand how amazing and touching it can be. Our goal is to give our guests the opportunity to meet these impressive animals underwater while maintaining a respectful approach towards the cetaceans and other marine life
The trip takes place using our zodiac, STENELLA
Snorkelers hold on to buoys fixed on a rope and will be slowly pulled by the boat at the waters surface alongside the dolphins. This is a passive encounter that does not involve actively swimming with the animals.
The targeted species for the experience are the Atlantic spotted dolphins (Stenella frontalis) and the Short-beaked common dolphins (Delphinus delphis)
We take a maximum of 8 snorkelers per trip. There may be 4 additional persons accompanying the snorkelers on board You will have a captain on board and a guide with you in the water attending to your needs.
Guests on board should be equipped with a mask & snorkel, designated aquatic thermal wear, a towel, warm clothes and a bottle of water
|Best price guarantee|
|No hidden costs|
Meeting Point - 30 min before the tour
All tours include a short briefing on safety and security. We meet 30 minutes before departure time in our shop at the Harbor of Calheta - please come in and proceed to check-in at our reception desk.
- only 4 people at a time are allowed inside our shop
- use of mask in mandatory indoors
- there will be a quick temperature control at check-in
- disinfection of hands is required when entering/ existing our shop & boats
- your personal belongings can not be left in our shop
What to bring for a tour:
- Sunhat, water to drink, comfortable clothing, sunglasses
- Your own mask
- Optional but recommended: hand disinfectant
If you have a fever, cough or difficulty breathing seek medical care early by calling SRS24 Madeira: 800 24 24 20. You should not attend the tour if you are feeling unwell
Directions: Porto de Recreio da Calheta
9370-135 Calheta, Madeira – Portugal
Snorkeling with dolphins in the open ocean
Thank you for taking an interest in our snorkeling tour. This tour aims at giving our guests an unforgettable encounter with cetaceans while upholding our companies principles and treating the animals with respect.
Local regulations allow us to interact with Atlantic spotted dolphins (Stenella frontalis) and Short-beaked common dolphins (Delphinus delphis) in the water.
Our priority and focus during this trip is to find these species and provide our clients with a safe encounter with the animals. It is important to note that we do not swim with dolphins; this is a passive encounter in the open ocean.
Booking Conditions for Clients:
- Fee does not include a guarantee for a sighting or encounter.
- We cannot make promises in natures name.
- Participants must be able swimmers and familiar with snorkeling equipment (mask & snorkel)
- Clients must be in good health to participate.
- If you experienced past events related to your health or have a health condition, please consult a doctor and inform our staff beforehand.
- All participants are required to sign a declaration of personal responsibility; we do not assume liability for potential accidents
- There may also be reasons that prevent our crew from allowing you, as a paying guest, to enter the water. Such reasons may be related to the safety of our guests or the well-being of the animals and must be accepted by all participants without dispute.
- Financial refunds are excluded.
- To make the most of your experience, please read through the following text:
What to consider before the tour:
- We recommend you eat a small, light breakfast before the tour.
- The briefing takes place 30 minutes before the tour and must be attended by all participants (including those who may not enter the water).
- Wetsuits in winter are obligatory and light thermal wear in summer (rashguards/ shorty-wetsuit) is recommended. If you wish to rent a wetsuit you can contact Calhetas Diving Center phone number: +351 968 276 366.
- Wearing an old t-shirt over your swimwear in the summer months is also possible.
- Well-fitted swimwear is advised for more confidence in the water and guests should arrive at the shop wearing their swimwear underneath their clothes.
- We recommend bringing snorkeling equipment (mask & snorkel) that you are familiar with. If your mask is new we suggest to clean the inner area of the glass using toothpaste or washing up liquid (we recommend repeating this proccess 3 times) before the trip to avoid the fogging of the lenses.
- Lobosonda can also provide you with a mask and snorkel. Due to health and safety measures related to Covid-19 we advise our guests to bring their own equipment. If you are not able to, we have mask and snorkel to lend (recommended disinfecting measures will be used).
- If you decide to borrow our equipment you are also responsible for returning it in good condition. Damage to or loss of the material will be charged with a fee: 35€ for each mask and 15€ for each snorkel.
- Bring your own towel, a bottle of water and warm clothes (wind-breaker advisable).
- We recommend the use of contact lenses for snorkelers using sighted glasses.
- Remember you can not wear your glasses under the mask for the activity.
- If you wish to take an underwater camera on board be sure to bring adequate accessories to ensure you don’t lose it during the encounter.
- Fins and other aquatic footwear are not required for the tour.
Meeting Point Information
Av. D. Manuel I, Porto da Calheta
9370-133 Calheta, Madeira – Portugal